Friday, August 6, 2010

Mount Morgan

It's about a 45 minute drive to the old gold mining town of Mount Morgan, so since I had never been there, I decided to visit it.
On the way, numerous coal trains go past. These trains have 80 to 90 wagons and are drawn by four diesel engines. Most of the coal goes to China and Japan and Australia's economy depends on the export of minerals.

The old chimney and mine works, but no longer in use.

It's a very quiet small town with not much happening, even at lunch time.

Yes, a real beauty spot.



It really is worth a visit with a number of interesting buildings in as small area. Mount Morgan used to be a very wealthy town, but many buildings are in sad condition.

I hope Pinki turned up.

The old railway station. It now houses a rail museum.

The railway station roof. Suitable for steam engines and I suspect that there are none like it left in Queensland.

On the way to Mount Morgan, the road goes up through some hills.



I enjoyed my trip to Mount Morgan though I suspect I won't go there again. If you get the chance to go there, take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment