Saturday, August 11, 2018

Daves Creek at Binna Burra

Each time we would come to this area I would do one of the numerous hikes at Binna Burra. My favourite walk was Daves Creek.


It's not far from the car park to the start of the paths. Initially I would be following the Border Track that leads to another Rainforest Retreat similar to Binna Burra called O'Reilly's.


The first mile or so is up a slight hill. It's not difficult or particularly steep but it warms you up.


A sign designating the boundary of the rain forest. The light is so dappled that the camera cannot cope with showing the letters. The sunlight is very strong and the shadows are very deep.




It's very refreshing walking through the forest with all the bird song and the rustle of various small animals in the undergrowth.


A group of hikers arrived who were setting out to walk the 21 km to O'Reilly's.


I was going to do the Dave's Creek circuit of about 12 km. I did not see any people until I returned to this spot.


The path now goes downhill for a mile or so and it's much easier. Recently I have noticed that I have developed a hitch in my stride when I walk but it disappeared as I trundled down the hill.


Occasionally you can see off into the distance.


It's comforting to know you are on the right path. 




Up hill again.


A small creek usually flows here but not this time.



My old body is getting too stiff to easily cross obstacles like this but I managed.



Finally the turnoff to Daves Creek. The Ship Stern path is longer and a bit more difficult in parts.


A hollow trunk of a huge fallen tree. You can see daylight at the other end.


Daves  Creek is my favourite because the vegetation changes. Suddenly you are out of the rain forest into a more open area.



And then you come to a section of the track with magnificent views.




The path is quite rocky in parts and reminded me of the Wainwright walk across England I did several years ago. Daves Creek is child's play compared to that 200 mile marathon.



Still, I would say this is the equivalent to an average day on the Wainwright Walk. Not the hardest, not the easiest. But the scenery here is top notch. 


One of the numerous switchbacks in this section.



Robin and I have done this path together numerous times and we have been to the cave. Once.





I'm glad there was a bridge. 


Eventually I reached the lookout at the furthest point of the walk.



View over the Numinbah Valley. We had driven down there in the valley the day before. I took a photo with my phone and sent it to Robin so she could reminisce about our walks here. It's quite windy up here and the cliff is vertical so I did not go too close to the edge.


The path close to the lookout forms a loop and this part of the loop on the way back was more overgrown.



Half way back. I had been walking uphill for a while and now I would have a down hill section. Since I have been doing more driving than walking during the past couple of weeks I have become slightly out of condition. I needed to stop and rest for a few seconds every 100 yards or so and have a drink of water.


A stag-horn that had fallen.


Just 2.3 km to go, but up hill for a while.


Back at the junction where I had seen the group going to O'Reilly's. Now it was downhill all the way to the car park and I started to meet other hikers.


I had wondered how well I would cope with this walk after my bypass operation which is about two and a half years ago. I have lost a step or two but I was pleased with my effort to do the walk in three and a half hours. Fortunately there was a very welcome cold beer and a good bed for a nap when I returned to the bnb.



No comments:

Post a Comment