Sunday, September 2, 2018

Blog #1000 - nostalgia in Urangan

I originally got into blogging back when I was working. Part of my job was to distribute information but I noticed that people often were too busy to read emails and then forgot about them or even deleted them. A blog allowed the information to just sit there until the person had the time and interest to take a look. I once described the process as similar to being the host at an Aussie BBQ. Instead of wandering around giving guests yet another beer, I would show them where the refrigerator / beer cooler was and they could get a beer when they were ready for another.

I have been retired for 8.5 years which means I do a new blog entry roughly one in every three days. That means that something was new, exciting or different quite often which is what I hoped retirement would be.


However, some of the blog entries are just for me and this is one of them. I am still exercising by walking and this is the local bike / walking path that follows the shoreline. 


View from the path to the water. In this area there is a large buffer zone to protect the shore during bad storms and cyclones.


This area is somewhat secluded so there are few cars. It's very quiet.


My standard walk is to the jetty and out to the end and back. I estimate it is about three miles.



I usually like to walk out there when the tide is out.




Crystal clear water. 


A school of small fish was swimming around and the seagulls were diving down to grab them. The white blob is the splash from a gull hitting the water. 


The pelicans were having a great time.






A quiet afternoon on the jetty.





The units where we are staying.


The serious fishermen congregate at the end.



All very peaceful with a light cooling breeze. Even though it is August here and theoretically the middle of winter, the high temperature is usually in the 70's. 






My friend Lee hates the photos of my feet. I really enjoy taking them.



I decided to take a closer look at the rock wall in front of the units.


It's a substantial wall and it was installed to protect the units. How they were allowed to be built so close to the water would probably be an interesting story. Usually such buildings need to be a considerable distance back from the beach.


We have been told that the construction of the wall was poorly done and there was no proper inspection. There are currently arguments about who should pay for the wall to be improved.


I estimate the wall is about 20' high in parts, but 12' tides are common. Fortunately the wall is situated in an area that is somewhat protected from any strong winds and swells coming from the north.


The rock wall to the left is the entrance to the boat harbour. Notice the building at the corner.


It is a former police station but is now owned by one of the unit residents. He currently rents it to an artist. It's not quite the right shape being too square, but I would like it as my listening room for my hi-fi. Supposedly there is a fiber optic connection to the building which was installed back when it was used by the police. Of course, the views from the windows would be magnificent.


The black part of the wall is submerged at high tide.


The other side of the this wall is the entrance to the boat harbour.


This map of Hervey bay explains the high tides. All the water flowing in at the north funnels into the channel at the southern end.


We are staying in the Breakfree units next to the boat harbour.


A photo of the jetty back when the trains still went out to the dock at the end that was demolished. I suspect this photo comes from the 70's.



Model of the docking terminal.


A very old photo. There used to be a lot more sand but the building of the boat harbour stopped the flow of sand along the coast and most of it washed away.


This appears to be from the 50's or 60's. Notice how thin people were back then. There was no rationing but people ate less junk back then.  Obesity is a problem in Oz.



Just prior to being demolished. 


Sand everywhere.


Every evening if it is not too windy, we sit out on the balcony, listen to the waves and watch the night time sky. This time there was a colourful moon.


No comments:

Post a Comment