Saturday, December 10, 2022

A boat on the sand

 For the past few days, we have been watching a sailing boat that has been parked on the sand. Today I took the camera out to get a few pictures. 


It's about a hundred yards past the aquarium but has been moving about a bit as the tide goes in and out.



That's quite a lean but apparently, water is not inundating the keel since it bobs around at high tide. We presume the owner does not want to pay mooring fees at the local boat harbour.



Two young ladies also came out to investigate.


Under the masts.


Inside. Yesterday I watched a wind surfer carry his gear over to the boat and get onboard so I suspect he might be it or maybe just one passenger.


This is a windmill that would be generating quite a bit of electricity in the strong wind.


The bow and anchor.



Barnacles.


I paced the length of the boat and I estimate it is about 60' long.


So now my curiosity has been satisfied and I have a record of its visit. The walk back into the stiff wind was much more difficult than the walk out.


Finally, on January 22, the boat has been refloated and towed away. The boat was being used just to live on and floated away one night. The local Police did not inform the local Airsea Rescue which would have rescued it, so it just sat there. The local council informed the owner that if the boat was not refloated by a certain date, there would be a $38K fine. I suspect the owner may have departed.

Still, even though I am glad to see it gone, it was of interest for a while.






No comments:

Post a Comment