Friday, January 22, 2010

Is it Wednesday or Thursday?

Is it Wednesday or Thursday? The question popped up into my mind yesterday as I took my constitutional walk down by the Elk River and to be honest, it didn’t matter to me that I didn’t know. The last time this happened to me was way back in ’74 when I was wandering around Europe for most of the year and I remembered that not knowing the day of the week disturbed me at the time. Not now.

A real sense of pleasure developed in my mind and the big beam reappeared on my face as I realized that I was starting to defeat ‘the cycle’. There were a number of things that were good about leaving Cecil and one was not having to remember the never ending cycle of events and due dates whether they be staff meetings, board meetings, reports due to the state, the budget and so on. Our lives are driven by these repetitive events and to be able to forget the timetable for a few hours was exhilarating.

Later that day as I looked out the window at the squirrels playfully chasing each other, I realized that it probably was mating season and nature loves cycles. Perhaps I still need the calendar.

No comments:

Post a Comment