Friday, March 1, 2024

Castres

When I was planning this trip I tried to arrange to stay at some interesting accommodations. I think I managed it here.


It's a few kilometers north of Castres.


A long driveway.


They don't build motels like this in Australia. Presumably, it was a chateau with extensive grounds at one time but most of the grounds are now occupied by houses. However, there are still extensive fields surrounding the property.


The owner came out to greet us and told us where to park.


Later the next morning after breakfast, the sun came out.


The staircase to our room. If you look at this link, we were ensconced in the Lavender room. It was a lovely big room with a large bathroom.



Breakfast was typically French.


An enormous pot of strong black coffee appeared.




Later in the morning, we visited the évêché Garden in Castres.


The Agout River also has a weir. Although I can do a reasonable amount of walking, there are limits to what I can accomplish in cities. It's easier for me to cope with smaller places like Lautrec which will feature in another blog.


The chateau will provide dinner but I forgot to book for our first night. Our host recommended that we go to a Brasserie in downtown Castres. This was the free nibble, olives in a tomato mix, and it was an interesting combo.


Marianne had salmon with pasta.


I was going to order steak frites, but the waiter brought out a hamburger to the next table and I was so impressed that I changed my mind. I could not eat it all but I must say that the fried potatoes were probably the best I have ever eaten.


We just finished our meal at the chateau. What a meal! The owner/cook suggested this bottle of wine from a nearby region which went very well with the meal.


At this time of year, we were the only customers. Some light jazz played in the background which enhanced the experience.


The first course was a mix of slow-cooked meats with an egg and local truffle. It was extremely hot and totally delicious.


Osso Bucco on the left with an eggplant and other veggie mix. On the right were orange-flavoured potatoes, perhaps with brandy added. Absolutely delicious and very rich.


Finally, possibly the richest chocolate-flavoured dessert we have ever experienced. When you come to France, you always hope you can enjoy a meal like this, and behold, here it was. As you can see, Marianne was overwhelmed.








No comments:

Post a Comment