Thursday, April 2, 2015

A long walk in Istanbul - Sultanahmet

I was woken at 5:45 by the call to prayer from a nearby mosque. Ear plugs were inserted and I went back to sleep.

I set off after breakfast and in the course of the day visited the Grand Bazaar, the Basilica Cistern and the Topkapi Palace. Each of these will get a separate blog. This blog covers the rest.


The hotel provides slippers as did Turkish Airlines.



Slippers for sale.



Minaret.

There is a separate blog for the Grand Bazaar.



Interesting old wall.






A cemetery for Sultans.




A separate blog for the Basilica Cistern.


Signs of Spring.



Our daffodils probably will be over by the time I get home.


Walking to the Topkapi Palace.


The Topkapi gets its own blog.




Interesting obelisk with Egyption symbols.



I will have to look it up but this screw shaped thingy is very old.


You see a few dogs but quite a number of cats.


Another obelisk.


It is a rabbit warren of narrow streets and I used the GPS on my cell phone to navigate.



Dinner. Marianne reports that Catty-watty is missing me.


A refreshing cup of tea that cost about 70 cents.






No comments:

Post a Comment