Saturday, May 13, 2023

A walk on our beach

 I suffer from Necrotizing Autoimmune Myopathy where stuff in my blood attacks my muscles. As well as going monthly infusions of Immunoglobulin, I have to exercise constantly to strengthen my leg muscles so that I can walk and stand up from a toilet seat. Six days a week, we go for a walk on the sand at about 7:30 am and in addition, I jog 1000 steps in the pool at 3:30 each afternoon. Like God, I rest on the 7th day.

I have been pondering what to do about taking photos for the blog of our trip to Scotland which will start in a week's time. The Pixel 7a was released earlier this week so I decided to get one since it is supposed to have a very good camera. I decided to take the phone with me this morning for the walk to test it out for blogging purposes and here are the results.


View from our balcony of the beach. The tide was going out.


Where we live in Hervey Bay. It's about the same latitude as Key Largo.


To the left of this walkway is our garage.


The garages for the precinct. Every unit has one.




The lap pool where I prance and do my exercises. I have discovered I can do backstroke for the length of the pool which is 100 feet or 30 meters long. It's winter here so it's a bit of a shock getting into the pool but once I start the exercises, I warm up.


The community is gated and we need a key to get in o out.


Grassy area between the units and the beach.


Wooden pathway leading down the hill to the beach. It's tricky to navigate.



I am standing in Urangan Creek where the excess rain water drains from the precinct.


It's a popular dog beach.



If you look closely at the center of the picture you will notice a small blob with a trail behind it. The blog is a lug worm which you can read about here.


Our beach is protected by nearby Fraser Island (K'Gari) so we don't get surf. As you can see, the water is clear.


Our building is just right of center.



These ridges are uncomfortable to walk on. In the distance is the Aquarium which marks the end of our local beach. We will continue past it.


A small area where shells congregate.


Good detail from the zoom feature.


The tide comes up to where you see the white sand to the left.


Local rock formation. Some days it can be completely covered by sand and on others, it will be even more exposed.






Trees by the beach.



There is a  park by the Aquarium.


The beach on the other side of the Aquarium. 


This beach usually has a lot more shells which can be uncomfortable to walk on.



Both beaches are dog friendly and we talked to the owner of this 15-year-old for about 15 minutes. Because it's so relaxing here, people say G'day and are inclined to stop and talk, particularly if their dog likes you.


A drain pipe.





We took the inland path home and sat for a while on a bench. After a long hot and humid summer, it's finally cooler so it's a pleasure basking in the sun.


This path is 15km long and runs the length of the bay.




I thought this was a good test of the phone camera.


Sunset.


Marianne's glass is not even half full.


All I can say is 'wow'. Some bats were passing over and they were difficult to see because the sky was almost black. Click on the photo to enlarge it and see the detail.

My old camera would often have difficulty in low-light situations. I've been impressed by the phone camera and I think it should do fine on our trip. I prefer having a viewfinder, particularly in the strong sunlight here, but virtually all the photos I took turned out fine with minor cropping.










No comments:

Post a Comment