Tuesday, May 23, 2023

St Bees to Kirkby Stephen

We are following the route of the Coast to Coast walk that I did ten years ago.
Before breakfast, we drove down to the beach where the walk starts.


You start by picking up a stone from the beach and then you climb up the hill. The climb gets your attention.

The beach looking south.

Looking north. There is no shortage of stones and I still have mine and I am very proud of it.

When I had my triple bypass at the end of 2015, one doctor told me my fitness probably saved me. This walk played a big part.

What a lovely road.

Walking country up on the hills.

The road going up to Honester Pass.

The slate mine at Honester Pass.

I walked down this valley ten years ago.


Margaret runs this B&B in Shap and is famous among the C2C community.


My walk that day was very long and tiring and Margaret asked if I would like a cold beer. You know what my answer was.


The breakfast room. She was pleased to see us.

We are staying the night at a hotel overlooking the square in the centre of Kirkby Stephen.

The pub across the street has closed.

After my afternoon nap, we went for a walk. Ten years ago I damaged my toenails going down Dent Hill and a bloke in a Walking Shop sold me a pair of sandals and waterproof socks. I wore them for the rest of the walk. He was sitting outside his shop enjoying the sun so I stopped to tell him how well they worked. He replied that he already knew since other people have mentioned a blog they viewed where he is mentioned and there is a video where the sandals walk into the sea at Robin Hoods Bay.

Entry to the local church.

I am not religious but I enjoy going into these centuries old buildings.

Marianne liked this.

The blue light adds an air of mystery.

It has been a lovely day.



No comments:

Post a Comment