Sunday, May 23, 2021

Maryborough Show - Arts and Crafts

 The local Agricultural Show (Fair) is held every May at the Showgrounds, except for last year because of Covid-19. The last time I attended was probably 60 years ago so I was curious to see what had changed.


The most obvious change is that the old Showgrounds are no more. They used to be centrally located and most people would simply walk to the grounds. The grounds were shifted to the northern edge of town and the old location is now a retirement village. Consequently, most people drive to the grounds. Parking is free.

We arrived at about 9:30 and parked close to the ticket office.


We paid our Senior entrance fee of $11 each (regular adult $16) and walked up towards the exhibits. The show people go all over the state and it's a public holiday when the show comes to town. Virtually all the businesses and shops, as well as the schools, are shut.


The back of a showbag stand.


The bushfire fighters are mostly a volunteer organization whereas the fire brigade with the fire engines is run by the state with mostly full-time employees.



A couple of the exhibition halls. If you have the time, click on this link to see what the old showgrounds used to be like. Quite a difference.


First up were the wood-workers. I was totally useless at wood-working in school but I am glad I learned how to use some tools.


Apparently the clock works and even the highly skilled wood-workers were impressed.



Notice the extremely thin stems.




A lady burning a picture onto a piece of wood. I asked her if she had problems with shaky hands and she said no. It's a problem for people who build amplifiers and need to solder. When I was at my worst with my myopathy, I couldn't keep the iron steady, but now I have no problem.


Next, the flowers.


My mother would have loved these gerberas.




This could be a heliconia.





This alocasia was the champion. It reminded me of collard greens which I used to cook back in America.





A dried flower arrangement.


Dolls with attitude.




Scrapbooking section. I suspect I know somebody who could do better.


The usual paraphernalia.


I liked the photo of the man on the left.

The next blog tomorrow will be the food. I am dividing all the photos up into sections.





No comments:

Post a Comment