Monday, May 24, 2021

Maryborough Show - Things to Eat

 I suspect my sisters will enjoy this blog since it will bring back memories, not so much of the dreadful food for sale, but for the items that our mother used to cook.


A display of local sugarcane made by local schoolchildren. Sugar is still a major part of the local economy but the local sugar mill closed down last Xmas and the cane is carted to another mill further north. Former sugar cane fields are being converted to macadamia tree plantations.
 


These are macadamias in their extremely tough shell. Not shown is the less tough outer shell. This area of Australia is where macadamias originally come from.


Some child had a vision of what a pumpkin should look like.


I wondered if I should include this. Stop giggling! It achieved a first prize.



Rosellas make a good jam.


A custard apple. They are just coming into season and they are absolutely delicious.


In the capital city's shows, displays of local produce are massive affairs.


This was made by students at my old High School.


Passionfruit. They are an Aussie favourite with an intense flavour.



Now we come to the lollies. They are covered by a plastic sheet so that people don't snaffle them up.


Mum would make these and other lollies for school fetes. She was a good cook.



She used to make all of these.



These chocolate cakes are really dark.


I am tempted to enter my Xmas cake next year. I have made one cake since we arrived and it is better than what I made in America. Marianne reckons the fruit makes a difference.


I don't make light fruitcakes.


People here must still like pink icing.


Watch out Johanne! There's a new fruitcake coming to town.


The local beekeepers had a display.



Apparently blue was the 'in' colour this year for children.


Such smooth icing.



Now that is a cake.


The first thing my mother taught me how to make was pikelets.


Jam drops.


Anzac biscuits. These were sent by Aussie and NZ wives to their husbands and sons fighting in WWI.


Mum used to make fabulous shortbread biscuits. Curiously, our daughter Robin has the knack to make them turn out well.


We decided to give the Dagwood Dogs and Fairy Floss (cotton candy) a miss.



In fact, we decided to give all the food a miss.


It's not often you see duelling pizza ovens.


No, we were not back in Pennsylvania Dutch territory.


I've noticed that people from Maryborough are not quite as svelte as those in Hervey Bay where we live.



It has to be well over 50 years since I had a Mr Whippy.



No comments:

Post a Comment