Monday, July 1, 2013

Day 15 - Blakey Ridge to Grosmont

It was raining the day after the long walk to Blakey Ridge so I decided to take the day off and finish the rest of the walk in two days on Saturday and Sunday. Brian dropped me off just a little north of the Lion Pub. Here is the map of the walk.


It was still quite windy up high on the moors and even though it was not cold, I was glad I was wearing a jacket and my hat.


A stone marker with the name 'Fat Betty'. There is a tradition of taking a piece of food that has been left there and replacing it with some of your food. Not having any food to donate, I walked on.


Looking back to the Lion Pub.




It was easy walking down the ridge along a road and I was able to keep up to my usual training speed of 3 mph.



Looking back west I could see this distinctively shaped hill that I had seen on the way from Ingleby Cross to Blakey Ridge.



After a while it was back onto a stone path. The sheep moved as I approached.




Closeup of the red flowering stuff.


Looking down towards Glaisdale.



Can you see the grouse.


Well hidden. Sometimes one would fly off as I walked past and would give me a fright. Their wings are quite noisy when they flap and the flight pattern is quite distinctive.







The root structure under the heather.






Glaisdale Rigg.


Shooting but.



Another old stone marker.






I stopped to talk to an old bloke who was sitting beside his car enjoying the view. He used to be an oil rigger and had been all over the world but he had something wrong with a leg and couldn't walk up into the hills anymore. Shortly after our conversation, he drove back down the hill.





The upper part of the pretty little village of Glaisdale.


By chance I arrived on the day they do their 'open gardens' event that raises money for charity. As part of the event various houses display a scarecrow outside their front gate.




The village hall where you could buy tickets to tour the gardens.


You could also buy food.


And a cup of tea or coffee.


I duly enjoyed a cup of tea, half of a pork pie which was delicious and followed up with a scone with strawberry jam and cream. We walkers really suffer.



The menu.


Not many people when I arrived about 11 am but soon after it was crowded.




I was invited to spend a pound on the Tombola (raffle) but thankfully I did not win a prize. Your number had to end in zero. Everybody was very friendly.







Curious ruin in the middle of the village.



Local pub.



The village has a station and shortly after, the local train arrived on its way to Whitby.



The old Beggars Bridge. 


It dates from 1619 and you can read about it in the article on Glaisdale.




Thankfully I did not have to wade through this ford.


Instead I took the narrow foot bridge.



A group of men of about 40 arrived just as I was taking the photo of the ford so I let them get ahead of me. It's really helpful to have somebody in front of you who knows the way because they know the deviations to take when the path gets muddy.




I wondered if this was an old reunion event. They certainly looked to be the same age.







We arrived in Egton Bridge where the walkers stopped at this pub, the Horseshoe Hotel. It all looked very inviting and if I hadn't stopped for the morning tea, I think I would have dallied for a while.



Egton Bridge is a lovely little village.


The entrance to Egton Manor.


The back entrance to Egton Manor and part of the walk. I felt quite grand as I proceeded through this grand entrance.




Egton House back garden.



They have donkeys instead of sheep and cows.


An old fisherman cycled past. He definitely had all the gear including his wading boots.


Can you spot the black sheep in the background?





I finally arrived at the Grosmont cricket ground where Brian was going to pick me up.

This was a lovely easy walk of twelve miles down. If you wanted to try just one section of the Coast to Coast, this would be the one to try. It has a mix of moor and valley walking and the path is relatively benign. 


Practice nets for cricketers as well as the old 'heavy roller'.


Grosmont Station with people waiting for a train on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.


The tunnel to the engine works. You can read more about it in my blog from last year.


Instead of a steam engine, a diesel arrived. Brian and I were both disappointed.

So a lovely day's walk. I felt good at the end and was looking forward to completing the last section the next day.


No comments:

Post a Comment