Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Brekkie in Maleny

The motel had stopped providing breakfast because of the virus, so we headed into Maleny to get some food.


I had scrambled eggs and toast. The eggs were very tasty and the tomato mix in the little pot was very intense. There are probably about a dozen cafes lining the main street. Maleny is a popular getaway destination for people from Brisbane. The altitude is about 1500 feet and subsequently cooler than down at sea level. We wore our jackets for the first time since arriving in Queensland.


We then strolled along looking at the main streets. Although shops constitute the vast majority of buildings, there are a few houses.


With my amplifier and speaker building hobby, perhaps I should open a Gong Cave in Hervey Bay. The sound will be particularly intense with Single Ended Triode amplification.


From what I have seen so far, I really like Maleny. The only things I don't like are the parking spaces where you have to reverse in.


Another house.


A  keen gardener lives here. To a certain extent, Maleny reminds me of Leura in the Blue Mountains.


An old 'Golden Fleece' petrol sign. The company was aquired by Caltex in 1981.


The old petrol station with the Golden Fleece sign.



Maleny is a very trendy town.


Notice the Polling Booth sign. There is a state election at the end of the month so I will have to cast my vote. Voting has been compulsory in Australia since 1911 and occurs on a Saturday. Early and postal voting is allowed and encouraged. You can read more about the history here. After observing the shenanigans that are allowed in the USA  to restrict voting, I very much prefer compulsory voting to voluntary voting.


I looked at the record labels and didn't feel that it was a great loss to ruin these records.

We have really enjoyed our time in Maleny so far and will probably come back again. It's a lovely place but I suspect it is not so wonderful when the rain sets in.


No comments:

Post a Comment