Monday, May 20, 2013

Day 2 - Ennerdale Bridge to Stonethwaite.

I really enjoyed the B&B at Ghyll Farm just outside Ennerdale Bridge. It started to rain during the night so I knew the orange umbrella would get a workout.

Go here to see pictures on a map.


My stuff and notice the orange bag. That is my day pack and I picked orange so that it would be more visible on rainy days. It comes from LL Bean.


Skylights can be very effective.


The accommodation was quite comfortable. When you get down to it, a bed that you can lie down in is all you really need.




A gloomy wet morning. This is England so get used to it.




The owner of the B&B told me the route to take. He strongly advised me to take the northern route by Ennerdale Lake because of the weather. When you get advice from a local, take it.






I was glad I had taken the advice.






The lake appeared through the gloom.  




Even though it is rainy, it still looks wonderful. 


  


The entrance to the car park to the left. Later in the trip I met the Wyoming people who actually took the southern route by the lake. They said it was awful in the rain.


Finally, the lake. 


The rain was pelting down. I  was very glad I had my umbrella and when I met people coming in the opposite direction, I reckon I could have sold it for 100 pounds. 











Inside the Black Sail hut at Ennerdale Lake. I rested and ate some food and then went to the bathroom out the back. When you hike, you need to be prepared for the next stretch.



Now started one of the hardest climbs of the whole walk. In the mist and the rain. 








The path way is obvious. It's where the water is coming down.



Some steps to aid the ascent. They help.



This climb is not easy. It seems to go on forever. My technique is to climb for ten seconds, rest for ten seconds and so on. Training does not help you to walk faster or harder or longer. It helps you to recuperate faster.



Water everywhere. This section really tells you if your boots are up to the task.



The cairn at the top of the hill announces that you have just about made it.



Now it seems like a different world.





Yes, you were down there and you have conquered. Feel proud.





Still plenty of gloom.



There is just so much water.



And the clouds are so low. At least you have some visibility.



In some ways, it looks quite scary, but you keep plodding along. Many other people have done this before you.



Not exactly a red carpet. Your feet and ankles get quite a workout. Don't even think about doing this walk unless you have trained for it.







The clouds persist. I wonder what it would look like on a clear day with sunshine. 






Is this the remains of a wall?


Easier walking. You enjoy it while it lasts.  



Going down hill, but it is not really any easier. You have to be more careful and you have to use your pole more.





A disgusting looking pond beside a slate factory.


The slate. They look  like coffins.




Where you buy your slate.


The mist and clouds are gone and finally you can see vistas. England countryside always looks so beautiful.




There is just so much water everywhere.



Coming into Rosthwaite. Not much further to walk.





Suddenly the path became a stream and not that pleasant to wade through.



For some reason or other, I got confused about where I was staying that night. I went into the pub where I thought I was supposed to go but I was not on their list. They contacted Sherpa who I booked through and found I had another mile to go to Stonethwaite. Since I was in the bar I had a very welcome beer. Very welcome indeed.,


Continuing on.


Look at those eyes. It looks like one of those masks you rob a bank with.





My B&B.



It was a very tough day, but satisfying. Oddly enough I found it more enjoyable than day 1. However it was a real relief to get to my room and unpack.

No comments:

Post a Comment