Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Narvik to Singapore - some thoughts

It was a fabulous journey and it turned out much better than I anticipated. Perhaps the biggest surprise from me was how much I enjoyed meeting people along the way and of course, getting the Santa Claus label. To all those who I met along the way, I say a big thank you.

Most of the train trips were enjoyable. The low point probably was getting on to the train at the Vietnam border in the middle of the night with the hum and vibration but then again the light and vibrancy of the Vietnamese landscape the next morning made up for that night. The high point of the trip was probably standing at the window looking at the endless birch trees of Siberia, but the journey over the Norwegian mountain range to Sweden was marvelous.

The heat and humidity of Asia was really enervating. I would never go back to that region in May or June. The problem with scheduling such a trip is to be able to cope with the heat of Asia and the possibility of extremely cold weather in Russia. 

I took in my belt two notches by the end of the journey. I was never really hungry, but portions can be small, particularly in Asia. I could not get used to the Asian practice of eating the same food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. At least, lager beer is cheap and usually cold. 

If you are ever considering doing either the whole trip or parts of it, don't hesitate to contact me. It's really worth doing and I am very glad that I was able to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment