Saturday, May 31, 2014

Saigon Opera House and some quilts

Today I am to watch my host's mother prepare lunch. I decided to go out early so that I could cool down in the air-conditioning at the house before the big event. I looked up Trip Adviser and noted that the Opera House was worth a visit. It's not too far from my host's house so I decided to visit it. If I can go to Carnegie Hall and the Bolshoi, I can go to the Saigon Opera.


All those scooters require fuel and I presume petrol is cheap here. The service station appeared to provide full service with lots of  blokes there in uniform filling the scooter tanks.


I walked past a hospital and noticed this lady with the plastic bag round her foot, presumably to protect a plaster cast from the rain.


I was now walking into the spiffy part of town.



Compared to the hustle and bustle a mile away, it was calm and quiet. Streets were comparatively easy to cross.





It was built in 1897 and was restored in 1995.


A College Graduation was taking place so I could not get in to take a look.


The back of the theater.


This was a different world from a few hundred yards away. A couple of elegantly dressed ladies were taking morning tea.


On my way back I saw a little arcade that advertised itself as being an Art Arcade. It was mostly lined with paintings  and I just wandered along, passing through a restaurant towards the other end. Nobody seemed to mind.


Very quiet very wide street. No problems crossing here.


I returned to my host's house and noticed this shop and went inside.


A couple of young ladies were tidying up and I asked if I could take photos which was ok.





Seems not straight.



Fish covered with material.

From what I could gather, the shop sells quilts made by women in rural villages as a way for them to make some money. You can read about it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment