Thursday, May 3, 2018

Day 4 - Nesna to Rorvik

Day 4 was turning out to be much less hectic than day 3 with fewer stops.

We arrived at Sandnessjoen for a short 30 minutes stop at 12:30 pm.

As we entered the port, Marianne remarked how much she liked these silos. She's getting a bit weird in her old age but I think she was pulling my leg.

Still plenty of snow covered mountains.

I wandered up into the town.

There appeared to be a 'mall' type shopping street without traffic.

A distinguished Post Office.

On the way back to the wharf, I passed a building that was covered with large photos of children.

A woman was selling woolen goods on a small table at the wharf. No doubt knitting is one way to fill in the long dark nights of winter.

It would be quite a challenge getting your luggage on board here. I was surprised that they didn't use the lower level entry.

Shortly after we passed a range of mountains known as the Seven Sisters. It was then a good time to have the afternoon nap.

The next stop at 15:45 was Bronnoysund where we would stop for over an hour.

Marianne asked what the tower was in the distance so I took this zoom photo to find out that it was a crane. Note that the mountain behind does not have any snow now. This town has relatively mild winters.

The new Register Center which holds the details of Norwegians in digital form. You can read about it here. I suspect locating the Center here is part of a decentralization program to create work in rural Norway.

It looks like this old shed was preserved since it is attached to the Register Center and you can see the modern design on the building behind.

Another ship moored at the wharf.

Another quiet shopping area.

We left after a while. Some of the passengers were enjoying the sun on the aft deck.

The outskirts of town.

Bridge over the strait.

We came to the island of Torghatten. It is famous for a hole that passes thought the mountain.

No hole yet but you can see a cleft in the side of the mountain which is made of granite.

The ship turns so that we can eventually see the hole.

Finally, the hole appears.

The hole which is 66' wide and 115' high. At this point, the battery on the camera died and needed to be recharged and I was not carrying the spare.

After dinner we arrived at Rorvik about 8:30 pm for an hour.

Rorvik seems to like painting its houses yellow.

This one was wanting some new paint.

One of our dinner companions, Larry, inspecting the statue.

Fishing must have been a very dangerous occupation here. We have been very fortunate to have had such good weather on our trip. As you can imagine, they can get very bad weather in these northern waters.

We noticed he 'birds' at the end of wires designed to keep birds off the roof.

Telenor is a mostly government owned telecommunications company and it has a large office here. Again, part of the decentralization program.

Rorvik has some interesting modern buildings.

More dried fish.

A pretty little area with old warehouses.

Now we knew why the bird scarers were on the other building.

This was part of an old small sailing boat.

The mast.

Paul Woxeng was a local historian and you can read about him here.

Rorvik was one of the nicer towns on the coast with quite a few interesting buildings. So many of the coastal towns were badly damaged in the war and the replacement buildings were utilitarian rather than elegant or interesting.

The back end of our ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment